Senior Project Manager (PDF version)
The European Vaccine Initiative (EVI) is a non-profit organisation based in Heidelberg, Germany. EVI is dedicated to accelerating the development of vaccines for diseases of poverty.
EVI has an exciting career opportunity for a motivated individual in a full time position as Senior Project Manager responsible for the management of multiple international projects related to vaccine research and development, funded by the European Union (EU) and/or Innovative Medicines Initiative (IMI) and other funders.
- To manage together with the Executive Director coordination of projects and stakeholders.
- To facilitate delivery of projects to agreed time lines, quality and budget.
- To ensure effective planning of projects including drafting efficient work plans and Gantt charts.
- To monitor the progress of projects in terms of deliverables, milestones etc. using dedicated project management tools, and to advance projects within defined parameters.
- To coordinate and ensure preparation and presentation of reports, project budgets and financial evaluations to tight timelines.
- To ensure the project team’s adherence to organisation policies, standard operating procedures, legal requirements and good practices.
- To drive continuous improvement across the projects.
- To develop and execute a communication strategy, facilitate internal communication, and establish and maintain good working relationships with project partners
- To clearly identify and solve issues, as well as implementing plans to eliminate any foreseen issues and problems.
- To provide the Executive Director with key project information throughout the life of the projects.
- To promote the objectives of the projects.
- To manage complex relationships with project participants and ensure participant satisfaction.
- To navigate items appropriately through the governance structure and ensure that contractual and statutory obligations of donors, stakeholders and executive management are met.
- To organise meetings and workshops.
- To develop standard operating procedures when relevant.
- To assist the establishment of governing bodies and ensure their support.
- Hold one of the following: PhD, MSc in Life Sciences, or another relevant related degree (e.g. clinical research, vaccine development, pharmacology etc.), an additional managerial degree is a plus.
- Experience with or within pharmaceutical industry is ideal.
- A high standard of written and spoken English is mandatory. German and/or French language skills would be an advantage.
- Organised, with drive and motivation. Proven ability to plan and manage complex projects.
- Strong co-ordination skills and ability to work in a team.
- Good communication and presentation skills. Demonstrated ability to work in multicultural and multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results against deadlines to a high level of quality.
- The flexibility to travel occasionally to international meetings, conferences, workshops etc.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project, and Microsoft Access, preferably with knowledge of other managerial software such as document management and accounting software.
- Organisational management experience is mandatory.
- Experience in managing projects at a senior level. Experience in managing projects funded by the EU and/or IMI is considered a plus.
- Proven research experience in vaccine development.
- Experience in preparing and maintaining websites.
Conditions of Appointment
- Contract period is initially two years, and pending review, permanent contract conditions will apply thereafter. A probation period of six months will apply from start date.
- Contract starts in April 2016.
- Successful applicants will be based at EVI headquarters, UniversitätsKlinikum Heidelberg, Germany
- Travel is to be expected.
If you feel that you possess the relevant skills and working background please send a Curriculum Vitae and covering letter explaining:
- Your suitability for the position.
- Your expectations and visions.
- Your salary range expectations.
Applications providing all of the requested information should be submitted in English and received no later than 17:00 (CET) on 15th March 2016, and sent by email to: Sten Larsen, Human Resources Director, e-mail: odile [dot] leroy [at] euvaccine [dot] eu (contact.us(at)euvaccine.eu)